It happens to the best of us, but we can fix that.
It seems to come unannounced. You know when to expect it and you dread the moment as it noticeably creeps up on you without even making a single peep. When its finally here, you only have seconds to make the decision of whether to just put your head down and let the inevitable happen or to fight it with some powerful and maybe even fatal energy weapons. Drowsiness. It happens to the best of us, but how can we stay awake and not surrender ourselves to the addictive and over-caffeinated energy drinks available on the market today?
Here are several tips you can use to stay awake without putting unnecessary chemicals and drugs in your body:
- Take a hike (or walk) – It may seem counter-intuitive to some, but moving your body and breathing in fresh air will increase your alertness and warm up your body for its next activity in the morning.
- Take breaks – If your work requires you to sit or stand for extended periods of time, it can take a toll on both your physical and mental state and make you feel tired. Take some time in between assignments or hours to get up and stroll around the office for a few minutes.
- Bright Light, Up Alright – Keeping your workspace clean and bright can help you stay awake and alert.
- H2O…k – You’ve probably heard it over a hundred times in your lifetime. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Dehydration can make concentrating difficult.
- Pack A Snack – You may not have a fridge at your desk, but healthy snacks can keep you blood sugar steady all day long. Some snacks to consider are peanut butter and crackers, granola, yogurt, nuts, fruits, carrots, and cheese.